Seattle Study Club Overview
Introduction to Seattle Study Club
The Seattle Study Club is a network of dental study clubs started by Dr. Michael Cohen in the early 1990s. Currently, there are over 200 Affiliate Clubs in the United States, Canada and Australia, all dedicated to bringing the finest in continuing dental education to clinicians in their local communities. While each club is run by its own Director(s), they all follow the Seattle Study Club model, and adhere to the underlying goals and tenets of the organization.
Once a year, the members and Directors of these Affiliate Clubs are invited to the Seattle Study Club National Symposium. This multi-day educational extravaganza features presentations by top clinicians from around the world, as well as treatment planning workshops and seminars designed to enhance personal and practice growth. It draws approximately 900 people, of which about 450 are dentists practicing all over the United States, Canada and Australia. The National Symposium is the biggest educational event that the Seattle Study Club sponsors, and it is the brainchild of Dr. Michael Cohen. Dr. Cohens ideas for the yearly meeting are implemented by the Seattle Study Club staff, a team of individuals whose job descriptions are distinct, yet whose duties often overlap.
Goals of Seattle Study Club
The goals of the Seattle Study Club are to promote and advance the following.
- Interdisciplinary treatment planning as the foundation of ideal, comprehensive care for patients in the United States, Canada & Australia.
- Peer-based, ongoing learning in the context of the Seattle Study Club model as the most efficient and effective way for dentists in the field to enhance their understanding of basic and advanced techniques and technologies, and to improve their ability to treatment plan and treat complex cases in the interdisciplinary setting.
- Commitment on the part of dentists to achieving their full professional potential in becoming complete clinicians those who are able to marry the science and the art of dentistry to deliver the highest and most beneficial level of care to their patients.
- Enthusiasm and passion in dentists for the profession of dentistry, and a true understanding of the immense benefits dentistry can provide to patients seeking improvements in their health and beauty.
- Professional camaraderie and the sharing of knowledge between and among dentists, and the development of a professional and personal support network within the context of the study club.
- A university without walls inside the Seattle Study Club, such that clinicians have ready access to leading dental authorities in a variety of fields, through their presentations at local Seattle Study Club meetings, their articles and cases published in the Seattle Study Club Journal, their participation in Seattle Study Club web sessions and their lectures and workshops at the yearly Seattle Study Club National Symposium.
Mission of Seattle Study Club
Within the context of its goals, the mission of the Seattle Study Club is to offer clinicians educational experiences that exceed their highest expectations of excellence, and motivate them to learn more and do more for their patients and their profession.